1964 was the first complete year of Engel’s designs on Imperials. He dropped the squared-off steering wheel and the electroluminescent dash lights giving the dashboard a conventional look and the ribbon-style speedometer was unchanged. He adopted the split grille again, and the faux spare tire bulge on top of the trunk lid was squared-off and restyled. He introduced a central fuel filler cap covered with a large Imperial Eagle. Defroster was standard and the back-up light and taillight were held by a horizontal spear-shaped housings in the rear.
They dropped the base Imperial Custom model and the only body styles offered was a four-door hardtop in the Crown and LeBaron trim levels, and two-door hardtop and convertible In the Crown level trim. Power windows were made standard on all Imperials. The convertible had power steering, power seats, padded dashboard and power brakes. The adjustable steering wheel was the new option of the year.
The changes in 1965 were on the front fascia and trim, and replacement of the automatic transmission push-button gear with a more conventional steering column-mounted shift lever.1966 was the last year for the Imperial platform introduced in 1956 for the 1957 model year. The Imperial continued to use the wrap-around windshield although had been dropped by most other makes. The headlights gained a24k gold bands around the perimeter. The trunk lid bulge became more squared to the side. Back-up lights were positioned to the lower bumper almost doubling taillight size. The standard 413 cu inch engine from 1959 was replaced with a 350hp, 440cu inch engine. Production was of 13,752 units. A black Imperial of this year was given as a present for the wedding anniversary of Richard ‘The Old Man’ Harrison of the Pawn Stars. A LeBaron was presented to Pope Paul the sixth at the UN in New York.